Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delphi 7 cgi on 64 bit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim555

Programmer
Aug 17, 2008
GB
Hi. I have been running a cgi program, created with Delphi 7 on a 32 bit PC, on a 32 bit Apache web server for several years. I am now looking at moving it all to a new server and a simple question; is there any reason why the cgi program will not run on a 64 bit Windows Server 2012? Best to get that basic question out of the way before going further.

Thanks.

I don't see why that would be a problem.
32 bit applications are supported on 64 bit OS.
It's all about IIS configuration really...

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
Helping people is my job...

Thanks for the reply. This might seem a silly question but if I am running Apache web server, does this involve IIS? I assumed it wouldn't. Tim

Ah sorry, didn't see the Apache part :)
My answer is still correct, so no worries ....

-----------------------------------------------------
Helping people is my job...

The only other thing you might check outside of whosrdaddy's good answer is how the CGI program (really a text program with special rules) behaves on the new OS. Especially with the 64-bit OSes, Microsoft has been "removing features" (I have things that worked perfectly on 8.1 32-bit that don't work well at all on the 64-bit version for this reason or that when I transitioned) in a number of ways. Also, they haven't been too consistent with keeping bugs out or fixing them. For instance, faq102-7109 contains a text driver that switches the color to black before CR/LF because of the "ribboning" of color out to the edge of the screen (a bug) that was introduced as of Windows XP SP3.

Anyhow, just try to fire up the program on the new OS and be sure it still takes input and writes output as was expected on your original OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back