Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell's IT Assistant - Anybody use it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaGirl

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
GB
I've installed IT Assistant on a few servers and set up the SMNP traps. I'm having a bit of trouble in setting up actions to take when an error occurs, I can get an email message but can't seen to pass the server name accross ?

Any handy tips, info most welcome as it's not the most intuitive software I've come accross.

Your Message seems to be of my interest too.
Are you willing to share some more of the user experience to me ?
Which version of IT Assistant do you use ?
Whxi are the other places you find the software not intuitive enough ?

I've been working on getting IT Assistant to work as well. If you have a sales rep ask them for a technical rep. My technical rep has helped me with all kinds of questions on the software.

Well I've got further ahead with this. You don't have to load Dell OpenManager Server Administrator, just the Dell OpenManage Server Agent, with HIP and DMI if possible to pick up the traps. There are two ways to get emails I via Server Actions (though you don't have much of a selection of actions to be warned about and your code to run must be local to the Server) or filters. Just getting confused with Mibs and setting up my own OID's to capture some of them.

Anyone know what you do with MIB for a PV51F ?

Can anyone help me with an IT Assistant remote logon problem? I've loaded IT Assistant (version 6.4.4) on my Win2K Server. I cannot logon to my other remote servers running Dell's Open Manage software. I've set my SNMP services to read-write using the "private" community. I keep getting "unable to login to the specified system"
under the Management section using "shutdown".

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I've not tried it on shutdown, but isn't the same as the userid root(default) and password blank (default - I think)that is under systems, users ? If it has a different userid or the password has been changed, I've found the only way to reset it, is to reinstall the agent on the server you are trying to access.

Hello, regarding the error: "unable to login to the specified system".

For Dell servers, I believe the default snmp root account is Username: root, password: calvin.

Try that account. If you still can't connect from your Management station, verify nobody changed the root password on your managed station by logging into server admin on the managed machine, click preferences, then Server Administrator on the left hand side. Finally, click SNMP Configuration. The root account password change page is displayed. Go ahead and type in "calvin" in all the boxes, click Apply Changes. If you get a confirmation box, they you successfuly set the password, which assumes it was calvin to begin with. If you get an error, then the old password is something else.
I hope this is helpful to you. Cheers.

I need help setting up IT Assistant and SNMP service. I need to be able to monitor all my servers from one server. I have installed IT Assistant on that server and I setup SNMP services on my other servers but I am unable to figure out how to recieve that SNMP traps on the server that I installed IT Assistant on. Can someone help me set this up or point me to where I can find documents on how to properly setup IT Assistant to send me messages if something fails on the server.

Thanks.

On the server you want to monitor, under SNMP settings, add a community e.g. "dellsnmp", under trap destinations add the ip address of the server/pc that you are running IT assistant on.

Under security add "dellsnmp" with read/create or read only. You can also set up "accept snmp packets from these hosts" and add the ip address you used earlier. I'd definatly leave public as read only.

You can then use the community name "dellsnmp" for your SET commands from ITA. You don't need to give it write access as Dell uses internal security to get the write access. For the GET commands use public.

ChelseaGirl...

How do I set the alerts. I have done what you stated but how do I know that its working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back