Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delll 2650 drive problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty773

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
US
Have a Dell Poweredge 2650. Was receiving an Amber light on one of the disks indicating a bad drive. I believe it is a RAID 1. The LED on the server had an error EOD76. When I put the replacement drive in it would still flash amber. I rebooted the server and with the new drive in it would not boot. BIOS was missing. I put the old drive back in and it boots up and the drive is green. I know I am still having problems. How can I tell that the drives are mirrored? Can I just swap the new drive for the old and it will rebuild itself?
Any help is appreciated.

There was a problem with Maxtor drives that was fixed by a firmware update. The drive would flash amber indicating a predictive fault. Reseating the drive usually clears the light for a period of time. You should update the server to the latest firmware and bios. Just go to support.dell.com, enter the service tag and you will find a list of downloads. Look for the system update utility iso and burn that and apply the updates. It can be run with Windows up but you may need to reboot to effect the changes. To see if the disks are mirrored, you could install OpenManage and use the disk array manager to view the setup or you could execute the control sequence at during POST to get into the raid controller and view the configuration. My guess is that you are not Mirrored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back