Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DELL XPS 200 Blinking Flashing Amber Light - No POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2008
US
I have 5 years PC experience and this one is really getting me stumped. I have replaced the PSU, CPU and still the computer will not power on. I get a green LED on the mobo so I ruled that out. The PSU works for another PC, I pulled everything out and just had the CPU, mobo and it still will not power on. Reset the BIOS battery and again nothing. I am out of ideas. There is a front USB/Power switch that seems DELL proprietery (sp) which I tried to get but they sent me the cable going from that small circuit board to the mobo instead. Flashing amber indicates power supply problems but I used a new one and got the same results, no power on, no fans spinning, just amber lights, as if the PSU cant push the power to the mobo. Any ideas would be great as I am at a loss. THank you.

It still could be the motherboard even though you are getting an LED. Are you getting any fans/beeps, etc., when you try to power up? I suppose it could also be the power switch itself being damaged, defective, or disconnected.

Have you tried just shorting across the power pins with a screwdriver (rather than using the connector to power switch)?

It does sound like a dead mobo.

btw - did you just take the bios battery out & replace it (rather than using the clear CMOS jumper)? I ask as I have had mobos where removing the battery DIDN'T reset the cmos, had to be the jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back