Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell XP Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I recently bought a Dell PC that came with the Home version of XP. I want to use another OS in this PC for another purpose. Thus, I'm building a PC that I want to put the XP Home edition on. Considering that I have a registered CD from Dell, would XP home activite properly on the new PC?

Thanks

Probably won't even install correctly. Besides, Dell has probably already activated it for you. The OEM license agreement allows the 'brands' to do that, lets them customize the OS, lets them key it to their hardware, and requires them to support the OS, not Microsoft.

Activation doesn't require you to be identified, only the country the computer is in.

The previous post is correct. I tried to install a Dell copy of XP Pro on a Compaq as a experiment. No go, it appears that there is a search as it loads from CD to look for a Dell bios. No Dell bios, no install.

Shawn

it may install if the other pc is a dell barebones that you are upgrading... the OEM versions look for specific bios (phoenix for dell). Michael Phipps
Technical Business Analyst
Mercy Health Plans

If you want, disconnect your current dell hard drive and put in another one. See if you can install XP Home on that. If so, install it and remove the hard drive and put it in the computer you want and reconnect the dell hard drive. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back