Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell T710 - Kernel-Power Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstubb

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2003
US
Just did it again as I was typing. I just received it 2 days ago. BIOS 1.3.6. It randomly reboots at an undetermined amount of time. Just realized others were having the same issue. I am going to pack it up and send it back if I can't resolve this by a firmware or BIOS upgrade. I did buy it refurbished to save some money. If anyone is experiencing the same issue feel free to add to this thread.

In the Windows System Log it is listed as a Critical - Kernel-Power Event ID 41 - Task Category (63) - 9 random reboots now in 2 days. I have it connected to a brand new APC XS 1500.

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I am glad I have not activated my copy of Windows 2008 R2.

Also every time it reboots it has to reconfigure memory (very 1st thing I see in the boot process). Wondering if this is normal. I did receive the server with 2 different 2GB UDIMM sticks. One is Samsung and the other is Hynix. I contacted Dell and they are going to replace the ram with Genuine Dell memory. So I am hoping it is memory related.

Server died this morning. I am returning it to Dell.

Don't know if this will be useful to you, or anyone else, but I've recently had a similar issue with a Dell R710 starting to randomly blue screen. Yesterday (02/06/2010) it restarted 5 times. Contacted Dell, installed reconmmended updates, still no go, restarted again at 3:30am this morning. Went through the memory.dmp file today with windows debugging tools, seems like ESET NOD32 eamonm.sys was the cause, so have contacted ESET to send over the .dmp file for them to look at. Would highly recommnend the windows debugging tools as the best way to solve these issues as it tells you exactly which file is causing the problem.

We had this problem, terrible waste of time, and now (months later) Dell is proactively calling T710 owners to let them know that Dell has found a defect in the power supply firmware that "can cause random resets." How about that. So apparently a power supply firmware update will fix this.

If they haven't already contacted you, call Dell and they'll email you a link to the firmware update.

We haven't actually updated ours yet, but everything in our experience with this problem points to this being correct.

Thanks mtnlion.

Dell replaced my server with a monster. I am not sure why they did it but the replacement came back with 48 GB of Ram, 2 CPUs, @ PS, and the Enterprise Level DRAC, additionally 2.5 inch drives over the 3.5 that I originally had. Server stacked up to be over $10,000 if you configured it new. I paid $2800. So now I have a plan for the power issue if it ever crops up again. Thanks for letting us know. I knew there was a flaw in the hardware somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back