Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell server thinks its a laptop?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2002
US
Ok, this is an odd one. I have several Dell Power Edge 1800 servers that seem to think they are laptops. they will occationally give us the "your battery is low, its time to plug in your laptop or lose data" what????

No, this isnt an errant UPS issue. When you go into power management, it gives you the option of showing one control for multiple batteries, etc. so it seems to think its a laptop. it even shows a phantom battery level (100%).

Any ideas on how to correct this? I have turned off all the actions related to switching to battery, closing the lid, etc. so we are safe for now, but I would like to get this fixed, not band-aided.

Do the Main boards have onboard batteries? Perhaps you want to check those. Sometimes during boot-up the system will notify you that the battery is low.
Multiple personality disorder?

I'd give dell a call. Sounds like some funky dell drives got loaded on the system.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back