Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell server showing less memory than what is installed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJV57

Programmer
Apr 18, 2009
CA
I recently installed and addition 4mb of memory to our poweredge 2600 server bringing the total ram to 7mb. The open manage server shows 7mb of memory but when I check properties on the computer it only shows 4mb. Is this a problem or have I done something wrong.

I am assuming you mean GB rather than MB.

Anyway, if you are using Windows Standard Ed 32-bit, you can only have up to 4GB. I'm pretty sure 32-bit versions of Linux have the same restriction.

If you want to use all 7GB, you will either need to install a 64-bit OS, or virtualize and run multiple servers.

See the following document from Microsoft:

Will a 64Bit os run on the dell poweredge 2600?

No clue. The quickest way to find out is to go to the dell support site and see if they have 64-bit drives available to download

Uh no. the 2600 is old. It used a Pentium III. X64 or EM64T didn't start until Pentium 4.

I had a server with 8 P3s and 8 gigs RAM.
Windows Server 2003 32 bit could see all 8 gigs.
He needs to activate PAE in Windows to extend the RAM addressing to 16 gigs or 34 bits.

Physical Address Extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back