Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell server running EXTREMELY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprale

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2007
US
My Dell PowerEdge 400SC crashed a week or two ago. I use it as a workstation, with XP Pro. It crashed and now my OS runs like it has 10% the processing power that it did before. I swapped out the OS drive for another drive, no luck. I changed the IDE cable out with the same results, nil. Any idea where I should go from here?

Have you tried system restore to some time before the crash?

Also, do you have OpenManage loaded? That could give you some clues about the cpu/memory. What caused it to crash? Are the hard drives in a RAID config?

Burt

I got the system and set it up as a workstation. No RAID, IDE drives, 2.4GHz Pentium 4 HT, 2Gb memory, XP Pro. I have never heard of OpenManage. I formatted the OS drive that came with the system, so I probably lost it. Can I get it again easily?

Dell OpenManage is a free download, helps diagnose the server, create RAIDs, etc. What caused the initial crash???

Burt

Not sure yet what caused the crash, it just locked up one day and ran at around 25% speed since. I restored to a few dates that I know were stable with the same results. I think that it is most likely hardware-related. I'll try OpenManage next.

I thought about the heat issue. I had rolled back Windows a while ago and forgot that my temp monitor had left me. Could have been the culprit... For now, I have another barebones system to put my file storage drive into for access, but the Dell server was so stable until this...

Thanks for the link, TheLad!

umm... dell says that their server-class hardware and win XP don't do well together. dunno why for sure, but many folks have tried this type of thing and end up going back to a breakable pc platform. i can't believe how chincy pc's have gotten!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back