Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Server 2300 went Blank on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

pQi

MIS
Aug 2, 2002
US
Hello Everyone!

I am having the strangest problem, and I am hoping it is not a hardware issue, however I do have a funny feeling it is:(

When my Dell PowerEdge 2300 passes the memory check, it goes to a grey screen with a curser blinking on the bottom left side of the screen. Not sure what to do...

"At one point it did give me a message that the ESM needs to be configured"

So fine, how to do I configure this, I can't even go into the configuration screen....

I hope someone can help...

Thank You
G/I

You need to download the correct ESM (Think it stands for Enhanced Server Management) for your model from Dell's website. It will be an .EXE file that when executed, will prompt you to enter a floppy.. it will create a bootable disk which you will boot to, after you boot to a prompt, do a dir listing on the floppy and execute the only .EXE listed. This will install the latest ESM software for your model... Hope this helps...

You don't happen to have an old DRAC card in there? You might want to flash that to the latest firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back