Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell SCSI Caddies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I need some additional SCSI drives for two servers - a Poweredge 2650 & 6650. Both have the same hot-plug SCSI drive bays. I have been offered some 72K drives with caddies from a Poweredge 2550 but I don't know if they are the same. I have tried searching on Dell's website but I can't find the relevant information.

Does anyone know?

Cheers

Andy

Do a quick search for Dell Poweredge caddies on eBay, I think from looking at the pictures that the 2550 caddy is different from the 2650/6650 caddy

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Yes they are different.... I did a bit more searching and the 2650 & 6650 share the same caddies, however they are quite expensive. New they retail for about UK £70, however there are sellers on eBay offering them for about £14. I still think this is quite expensive though :(

I am going to keep looking on eBay and hopefully some will come up. In the meantime has anyone converted the caddy blanks into caddies? I have been measuring up and I think this will work as a quick fix (maybe permanent?) until I can get some real caddies. It looks like a hacksaw (dremel?) and a drill, along with some screws to secure the drive will be enough? I don't know about the heat dissipation or airflow though.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has done this 'conversion'?

Andy

There are two different caddies for the 2650---the metal ones are best, as the plastic ones tend to go off track and cause the drive to not seat properly, which usually fails the drive...have I ever proclaimed my love for Dell?lol

Burt

I managed to get six off fleaBay for about UK £50 so I am sorted now. Just need some big SCSI drives....

Andy

Those 2550's and 2650's are junk---especially the Adaptec version of the PERC...ever see one not rebuild? I have! Now the 2950's are pretty nice...but I always prefer HP (though IBM x-series are pretty sweet, too).

Burt

Burt, you said in an earlier thread you didn't like Dell servers and I tend to agree with you that HP/Compaq servers are better. These were however pretty cheap and so far apart from one weird issue that disappeared after a reboot both these servers have been top notch (2650 & 6650).
I have rebuilt a RAID-1 volume a couple of times as I have got more disks and it has been fine so far.

Andy

Oh, I agree with that too, Andy. I just set fire to 2550's any chance I get...lol

Burt

Just wait for the 10th & 11th generation Dell stuff, even though the current 9th gen stuff is pretty impressive IMO the next stuff coming along is a big step forward (its all under NDA though :( ).

I do like the 2950's. The older Adaptec PERCs put a bad taste in my mouth...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back