Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell screen goes black and wont come back on

Status
Not open for further replies.

princesspink

Technical User
Sep 19, 2018
US
Name model: Precision 7720
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro P4000 4.0 GB

I have 2 problems that I think are some how related.

1. The laptop screen shuts off after the proper amount of mins set in windows. The screen will not turn back on unless you reboot the computer.
You have to hard reboot it. If you LIGHTLY press the power button, it shuts down the computer. Normally you have to hold the button in for 10 seconds but this you do not.

It seems like it is in sleep mode but I have ALL the sleep modes disabled in windows and BIOS. The power button does not pulse like it is in sleep mode either.

We have found out this only happens on the docking station. It does not happen when the computer is undocked.

While trying to figure out this problem, we turned off the switchable graphics in the BIOS. This corrects the problem but creates a NEW problem where the 3 monitors flicker. We have found out that this does not happen off the docking station either. If the screen are flicker while on the docking station and you undock the computer, the flicker will stop.

What have I done?
Reset all display settings
Turned off all Sleep Modes in Windows and BIOS
Dell replaced the motherboard and graphics card
Updated the graphics driver and rolled back the graphics driver.
Updated BIOS
Switch out docking stations

Right now we are trying to use a new thunderbolt docking station to see if the current old style docking station is the problem

What version of windows do you have? When was the last time you patched it?

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Check for any driver updates on the Dell web site especially related to the docking station + definitely check for a BIOS update. Do the BIOS first.

goombawaho, I did all of that. Everything is update to date.

Beilstwh,

They were using a E docking station. Which I could not find anything to update that

We are not testing a thunderbolt docking station which I did all the upgrades for.

It seems the problem is the connector of the old docking station, I am sure it would be working fine on the Thunderbold Docking station.

Regards,
Dave|Tech Support Team
MIND IS MOST POWERFUL ELEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back