Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Poweredge 2950 Issues w/DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

G3rtech

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
US
Greetings,

I have a DELL Poweredge 2950
OS Red Hat Version 4.1.2-44
with a /dev/scd0 linked to /dev/cdrom: ata2.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-L633A, D200, Rev UDMA/100. The server is less than three months old. The DVD had been working fine until last week. Now it won't, I put a new disk in the drive, the LED blinks about 4 times and stops. I've tried multiple media and media that the drive was reading, but no luck. Can someone please give me some troubleshooting pointers? Thanks!!

I did get a tip a minute ago off of Google. There is an issue with the GUI and the OS seeing the drives. Should only run in runlevel:3 I was in runlevel:5. I changed it to 3 and did a reboot. No good.

I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting a Dell DVD problem only to determine that it was broke and Dell needed to fix it. Dell replaced the DVD at no charge because it was still under warranty.

Less than four months old? Don't waste time. Call Dell Support to repair it.

Thanks for the tip...Will try and post back..

I replaced the DVD drive and I'm back in business. Issue Resolved.......GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back