Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell poweredge 2650 and PCI cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

736xl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 14, 2005
US
I am in need of installing a PCI card in this server. The PCI card I have is about 3/4" away from the back plate. Not sure why. My problem is that when any PCI cards are installed the server doesn't power up. I've looked in the bios and other then 3 available PCI slots, nothing is needed. What do I need to install one of these PCI cards?

Thanks

The forum may be able to help with more information as to the type of PCI card you are installing. The 2650 card cage should accept a standard pci card.

Is it PCI-x or PCI-e? IIRC those are not 'standard' PCI slots...

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

According to the User Guide on the 7 I maintain:
page 1-12 - System Board Features
Slots accept full-length cards designed for PCI-X 133 Mhz, 100 Mhz, 66 Mhz, or 33 Mhz.

I read that to mean PCI-X only.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I've got both. I've got a diamond sound card and I know for a fact it is standard PCI. When installed, I had to bed the bottom piece (if you look streight at the connector on the side, the bottom will hit the board.) and it does not connect to any of the first slot connection (only the center).
The PCI-x does not fit the bay in any way. I've got a PCIx card as well in thinking that might fit the PCI slots but it doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Here's some sales literature from Dell:

That makes 2 references from Dell stating those are PCI-X slots.

Now, when the PE2850 came out you could get a PCI-E riser card for it. Is there any chance someone mistakenly put the wrong riser card in that 2650?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back