Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Poweredge 2600--How do I expand 4 GB system partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevotron

Technical User
Aug 6, 2004
US
OK I have a problem with my server. The people who set up this drive left it with a 4GB System partition and installed Windows 2003 on it-- I was aware and was hoping to try and put off the ugliness of figuring out how to expand it until I noticed that we are down to 667MB of freespace--UGGGH. I have two 33 gig drives setup in RAID 1 config--the system part is 4GB and has 667MB of free space left. I also have 3 73 gig drives in a RAID 5 config that are brand new and completely empty. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do? I know I have asked before and the consensus was that I needed to back all up and blow away the 4 GB partition and reinstall W2k3--gosh i really dont want to do that!!!! It will be such a mess, but I am thinking my server is about to choke with that little space to operate--any last ditch ideas? Could I some how leverage mount point? I just dont know. I heard that partitioning software wont work because of the partition Dell installs at the start of the disk.

I haven't used partitioning software on servers myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Personally though I'd just look at moving stuff off it (pagefile, backup software logs etc.). 4GB isn't a lot but should be ample for a Win2k3 server without heavy-weight apps running off the C: partition.

Partition Magic should work just fine. Always prepare for total disaster when fooling with your partitions...

Choices
1)Create an extended partition (no fault tolerance at all, I personally won't do that)
2)Ghost your Partition (Not ghost entire HD)
-Double check the consistency of the partition image
-Install the new HD's. I suppose you will move the entire data to the RAID5 and leave the RAID1 as backup.
-Ghost the partition image back to the RAID5, and you will have a copy of the RAID1 into the RAID5.
-The only thing you are missing is the Dell partition, which you won't miss since it can be created into a set of 4 floppy disks in case you need to run it in the future.
-I would give you the name of the product I use but, is that against the rules of the site? *confused*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back