Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Poweredge 2600 drive upgrade/RAID questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevotron

Technical User
Aug 6, 2004
US
I have a Dell Poweredge 2600 server on a 20 user Windows 2003 network. It has two 36GB Ultra 320 SCSI hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration. When this server was built, it was given a 4 GB system partition leaving about 30GB of storage space on a second partition for programs and data. The 4 GB system partition and 30GB of storage space are both just too small. What I want to do is expand the system partition and increase storage space. This is my plan

A. Two arrays--the first being the 36GB RAID 1 array--I am going to leave it alone

B. The second array will be three 72GB Ultra 320 SCSI drives w/ a RAID 5 configuration and one extra 72GB drive on stand-by as a hot spare.

I want to migrate all the data from the 30GB partition on the original RAID 1 array to the new RAID 5 setup. I then want to use the RAID 1 array w/ 2 partitions, 20GB for the system partition, the rest for programs. I will use the RAID 5 setup for data. Here is what I am unsure of--Can I move the data from the 30 GB partition, and then format or delete that partition, and then use diskpart, or some third party software (i have Partition Commander) toexpand the 4 GB system partition w/ the unallocated space? Also, would this process be helped or hindered if I was to convert to dynamic disks? Does my plan seem like a viable solution:
2 36GB drives RAID 1 - System and programs
3 72GB drives RAID 5 - Data
1 72GB drive Hotspare

Is this a sound plan? Is there anything I missed or should take into consideration?

Sounds OK (personally I would only have a single partition on each RAID set, you won't gain anything but complication by having programs on a separate partition on the mirror set). Never used partition moving programs myself on productino servers but plenty of people have successfully - as long as the data is moved off first then at worst you'll just have to rebuild the OS and install the apps again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back