Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell PowerEdge 2600 & PowerVault 221S

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkymrk

Technical User
Mar 22, 2006
CA
Hello,

We have a PowerEdge Server running Server 2003 and we have recently attached a PowerVault server for more storage. This is my first time working with SCSI so please be nice :). Anyways here is my problem, I want to run RAID 5 on the PowerVault drives and it is connected to the PowerEdge via an Ultra 160 SCSI Controller. I was reading a manual on the Dell Array Manager and it stated the SCSI subsystem controller does not support RAID and Virtual Disks so does this mean i'm screwed and need to go and but a SCSI RAID controller. There is a PERC 4 controller on the PowerEdge but it's onboard with no external connections. Is there anyway to run RAID off the controller on the PowerVault? I know the PowerVault is just a big hard drive, but does Dell put any little OS on it to run RAID? Sorry for not being to clear but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your worst case scenario is indeed the correct one: you need a RAID controller with an available external channel in the 2600.

jkupski is correct..look into adding a second PERC controller. You could also look into something like the Adaptec 2015S card. It basically will add RAID to an Ultra320 board. Hope this helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back