Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Poweredge 2500 monitoring software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryrae

MIS
Aug 31, 2004
US
I have several Dell servers that I would like to have monitored for any and all software/hardware related issues. What is the best software out that will help keep tabs on my servers in case of an emergency. Is there any freeware out there that would work or will I need to spend hundreds of dollars??? Thanks for your help.

Well, do you have OpenManage installed? That will give you a peek at the hardware.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

58sniper: does the OpenManage software need to be installed on the dell poweredges or can it be installed on my computer and used remotely to check/manage the poweredges?

You have to have it installed on the server itself. In addition, if you want to have a centralized console, you will have to install the IT Assistant too. This requires that SNMP be installed and configured to communicate. The best part is that it's free. However, if you're more concerned about the systems being up, service running, drive space, etc. then take a look at GFI Network Server monitor. I've used it for about two years and it's cheap and reliable. If you have a larger setup then maybe What's Up Gold or ipMonitor will be a better fit. Good luck

I use Openmanage with IT Assistant installed and it can monitor several of the servers.

If you just install the Openmanage with out IT Assistant it is just one on one. You can access the servers from your system by the web browser so you can remote manage the server from your box but by adding IT Assistant you can see them all at once on one screen.

HTH

Michael

There is no place like 127.0.0.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back