Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell PowerEdge 1400 - How do I configure RAID? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavm99

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1400 that has an on board SCSI Adapter with 4 SCSI hard drives.

What I want to do is setup a RAID set. Normally you would use the Configuration within the SCSI setup utility but there are no such options when entering the SCSI BIOS on this server. There is simply the ID listing and a disk utility which just checks the disks.

Can anyone please suggest how I can setup RAID on this server?? Open to any suggestions!!!

Thanks.

Yes it has an Adaptec AIC-7899 which is on board

As stated above this had limited features in the BIOS, you can only view the SCSI ID's of the disks or Verify them.

Is there a way I cam setup RAID using this controller?

But thats the point - there is no RAID option within the SCSI BIOS.

Is it possible to install a Adaptec 2940UW PCI SCSI Card and use this instead of the on board SCSI Adapter? Would this enable me to configure RAID?

Neither the AIC-7899 nor the 2940UW are RAID controllers. They are SCSI controllers that support RAID, but do not perform it. You will have to add a RAID controller.

Cheers LawnBoy - I like straight replys!!!

Thanks for you help!!!!

I would rather have bad news than incorrect news though! I can now purchase myself a RAID controller. I have given you a star for your efforts!

Woo woo easy now - I was complementing you, not giving abuse!

If you look at your profile you will see I have genuinely given you a star against your profile!!!!!

Shame there is no tone on forums!

You gave me the star (thanks, btw) not mbrooks. He may have the impression that your "incorrect news" statement was disparaging his input.

I'm sure that's not what you meant, as his posts were accurate.

Your right, me getting confused!

Anyway - Thanks to EVERYONE, once again I appreciate all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back