Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell PE2850 displaying EOD76 error Bios reporting drive is degraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

indymedic

Vendor
Apr 27, 2005
US
Dell PE2850 displaying EOD76 error Bios reporting drive is degraded. Drive is part of raid 5 set. I rebooted the server and reseated the hard drive but this did not resolve my issues. All drivers and Bios is updated. Can anyone help???

I removed the drive from it's slot and put it back in the slot. I was hoping that it would rebuild but it did not.

Reboot the server. At boot when the RAID controller initializes press [CTRL-A]

From there you can perform a [CTRL-R] <Restore> of the degraded container.

Hope this helps.

M. Brooks

If reseating the drive didn't help, replace it. Just put in the new drive and the rebuild should occur automatically.

Yeah I'd agree with lawnboy, if reseating the drive didn't work then replace that drive. If it's under warranty Dell might send you the DSET utility to run first before they send a drive out.

I go along with Lawnboy and Nick. You might be able to perform a resurrection, but it is more than likely to fail in a short time.. also should a different drive die before the drive mentioned fails by itself, odds are it will take both at once, then you have nothing. Get a new drive, not a re-certified or re-calibrated drive.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I agree too. I have seen a RAID5 array get corrupted once before due to a defective disk being reseated. The best policy IMHO is to always replace a degraded disk with a new one. Even if the server is not under any warranty, the disks are cheap enough these days and the minimal cost certainly outweights the possibility of a long server outage with a server rebuild being required.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back