Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMC

MIS
Dec 9, 2003
US
When I purchanse a Dell PowerEdge server, it comes with a partitions of:

Disk 0 Usually a C and D or C and E.
Disk 0 One partition

I just looking for opinions.

Why do they split Disk 0? Do any of you use it that way? If so, then why?

I want some reasoning to this and some ideas. Thanks!

-MC

I've not bought a Dell server for over 3 years as a result of a change in corporate buying policy, however, in the past it was a throwback to when NT4 and earlier was shipped with servers, with the C drive being formatted as FAT. FAT could only support up to 2GB of disk in a single partition, and the split came at 2GB. The rest of the disk was then used as another partition formatted to NTFS.

In the past, I have used this additional partition to house the windows swap files, and any print spooler files as necessary. Quite often freeing up valuble disk space on drive C for the operating system and patches.

=======================================
Sarcasm: Just another of the services we offer
======================================

I believe that the dos partition is set aside for diags. If you used the Dell Openmanage CD to install, it sets it up as part of the prep work prior to doing the op sys load.

The Diags partition is usually a seperate partition, without a drive letter. However, it could have changed.

=======================================
Sarcasm: Just another of the services we offer
======================================

My new Dell servers are setup this way from them I think to have the C drive as the OS and the D or (E) as the place to store data. The Utility partition is still a seperate partition with no drive letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back