Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell - Optical drive security screw. How to get it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Thought I would try out this optical drive security screw. Is it now permanently secured, never to come out?? I know - dumb thing to do.

See this PDF for the part and what I did.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thought I would try out this optical drive security screw.

Knowing why and what it is supposed to do might shed some light on the issue. Or is it some secret ritual only known to Dell owners?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

One the odd occasion in the past when I've dealt with one in a Dell it hasn't been a problem. But then, they were slightly different from the one you link to,

It's supposed to lock the optical drive in place, assuming to stop annoying users from removing it. But, is it reversible? I tugged on the drive and it didn't seem to want to come out. But you put the screw in when the drive is OUT, so that means it can slide back in. So nothing should be preventing removal.

It thought it just disabled the little spring loaded pop-out pull tab that allows you to pull the optical drive out easily. Not going to crank on it with a screwdriver just to see if it's actually locked down. Oh the comedy, oh the stupidity.

>So nothing should be preventing removal.
That wouldn't be very secure, then ...

Normally the optical screw is accessible from the outside. Quite strange that this one actually locks into the casing.

Exactly. That's how the one's I've dealt with before (and as illustrated in the link I provided) worked. Have a nasty feeling that the only way to get the drive out now from this particular model will be to remove the back panel completely ...

Yeah, I think in that design, they didn't really intend for people to test it out, but just to trust them and use it or not use it. Definitely looks like you'll have to disassemble the laptop if you need to pull out the bay.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

But, is it reversible?

Wouldn't that rather defeat the purpose of fitting it in the first place??

Chris.

Ok. No big deal really. The customer is not likely to want to remove the optical drive and back of the laptop does come off quite easily - never thought about that to get at the screw. Guess I shouldn't screw around in the future. Thanks everybody.

Guess I shouldn't screw around in the future.

Pun intended? :)

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back