Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell LT not booting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcintosh78

Programmer
Feb 26, 2007
US
Ok, I have a Dell Presario V2000. It was left on for a week and then if went dead. I can hear the cooling fan spin, the power led comes on, but I do not hear the HD spin. I also can't get the CDRom to open. I have used a paperclip to open the CDR manually, and have loaded the recovery disk, but no spin. I have reseated the RAM chips and the hd but no help. Any ideas?

Thanks

Does it boot to BIOS? It should boot to BIOS whether there is a HDD connected or not. If it does not boot to BIOS, your problems lie elsewhere.

If you can take the HDD out and connect it to another, working PC as a slave (you might need to change jumper), you may be able to see if the HDD is working and visible. If it is, go to command prompt Start->Run->cmd

and run chkdsk X: /r where "X" is the letter assigned the drive by the working PC.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Sounds like a power supply or motherboard issue. If CD drive not powering - either PSU not supplying power or mobo not distributing it.

As PSUs not expensive - I'd try that - though might be worth resetting the mobo's cmos (usually jumper on the board near the battery - often labelled jbat) first.

Wahnula.
Does not boot to BIOS. I do see the Power Icon lighting up and the fan is spinning. No power to the disc drive.

Wolluf.
Ok, Power supply is good. I got lights on the power up LED. How do you reset the MOBO?

PSU may not be good - often they don't completely die - will power fans and LEDs but nothing else - so I'd still try another PSU.

Restting mobo's cmos - as i said usually a jumper on the board (often labelled jbat) - 3 pins. Normal mode, pins 1-2 closed - that's how it will be now, if present. Close pins 2-3 to reset then return jumper to normal position. As its a Dell you should be able to find documentation about the mobo on their site (if you haven't already got some). Some boards don't have such a jumper - best you can do then is remove the mobo battery for a while (say 10 minutes), replace - then try again (but not as effective as jumper). Sometimes resetting will breathe short term life into dying board - sometimes it will do nothing, sometimes it will bring it back to normal operation.

This is a laptop (LT), no? I don't think Dell makes a Presario, the Presario V2000 is a HP/Compaq product.

The best way to test the power brick is with a meter, or try another one. With laptops, the default testing method is unplug from wall, remove battery, hold the power switch for 30 seconds or so, plug power brick in with battery out, and try again.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I had a Bad battery in my dell and it would only work with the Battery out, until I got a new Battery.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

missed the 'laptop' - please ignore my PC meanderings!

Agree with Tony and Acewarlock - hope its not fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back