Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DELL Latitude Keyboard Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

royhouser

Programmer
May 15, 2002
US
A girl in my office has a DELL Latitude that the keyboard just "quit working" on. She has a lot of work on this OLD laptop, and I don't really want to reload the POS. It beeps whenever you push a button on startup and won't let me into the BIOS or anything else (basically the keyboard won't respond) to check it. I got it to boot with a secondary keyboard plugged in and it gave me a "Stuck Key Error" on boot then prompted me to push F1 and it booted right up and worked. I can't see any keys that are stuck so I'm at a loss on how to fix this. Any Ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions
Roy

royhouser
[hourglass]
More is lost by Indecision than Wrong Decisions

You could try a USB keyboard - it may be that the normal keyboard controller has an error.

Andy.

A regular keyboard plugged into the pc slot works fine. It's just a matter of getting the actual keyboard to work correctly. This thing's so old I don't even think it has usb ports!

Thanks for the feedback. Keep 'em coming.

royhouser
[hourglass]
More is lost by Indecision than Wrong Decisions

I've supported thousands of older Dell Latitudes. One of the number one problems was that the screws on the underside of the laptop come loose.

In particular, there is one in the center that goes right into the keyboard and acts as a ground. If it becomes loose, all sorts of problems start acting up, including the loss of keyboard functionality.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back