Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Latitude D620 stuck in eternal "acquiring network address" votex

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb63640

MIS
May 12, 2004
US
Interesting puzzle to solve. I am working with a Latitude D620 Windows XP that will detect a wireless network and acquire an address on all networks tested (library, McDonald's, local community hotspot, iPhone personal hotspot), except for the user's home network. They have Uverse and a 2wire gateway setup. The network is detected, but cycles forever in the "acquiring network address" stage. Other mobile devices (Nook, iPad, iPhone, MacBook) have no problem with detecting and connecting...

Any tips or tricks appreciated

1. Network card driver update
2. DISABLE the third party wireless utility if there is one and use windows utility

Then if no love, is XP fully patched (SP3) to get all the wireless updates?
Also give us brand/model of wireless card and type of security in use on 2Wire router. That's an old laptop and wireless card, so it might be a wireless B card with primitive capabilities in terms of security (e.g. no WPA2 support). I had a D800 and it had a B card that gave me fits.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

That's the behavior you see if MAC filtering is turned on, but the device you're using is not on the router's 'allow' list. The same page that allows you to enable MAC filtering also makes it easy to manage the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back