Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dell inspiron 2650 usb 2 card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmacca

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2002
GB
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the following problem. I bought an external dvd drive (sony drx-500ul) and a ratoc cbu2 usb 2 cardbus pc card to connect the drive to my dell inspiron 2650 which runs xp pro. after many tests on my machine and friends' machines i have isolated the problem as the ratoc card - the drive actually works through the usb 1 port on my laptop and through the usb 2 on two other laptops (a sony vaio and a compaq). through the usb 2 though on my machine it only reads from the drive and won't write to it (it gets stuck on 98% for a while then I get an error message every time). i have found a usb 2 patch that someone with similar problems wrote to fix this conflict but if this doesn't work does anyone have any suggestions? does anyone know of any usb 2 cards that function fully with dell inspiron 2650s that i can get in the uk? are dell working on this problem (it seems from what i have read that they aren't very helpful on this and similar issues)? ratoc i beleive are a japanese company and their site isn't great for updates etc - just drivers. does anyone know if they are aware of this problem? would xp service pack 2 help (even though i can't find it anywhere - do you have to buy it)?

Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated.

gregmacca

I am slightly confused by your description, but maybe this could help.

It is likely that two issues are involved:

. Your cardbus driver to the cardbus device
. USB

I think if you added a powered USB Hub as an extension to USB port #2, it would solve your problem. But if you are referring to USB Standards 1 or 1.1 or 2 type device problems with your machine, then please look thoroughly through this site to see if this is a fixable problem:
It is very possible that your card will not support a level 2 USB device. It is also possible that there is a driver to solve the issue, but there are pure incompatibilites that a driver change cannot solve. See and read the link provided earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back