Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell DRAC issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramodeus

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2008
Ok, this one has me stumped.

I have two DRAC equipped servers, one PE1950 and one PE1850 - DRAC 4 and DRAC 5 respectively. I've had the 1950 for a while now, and since it actually has an optical drive I'd not had a reason to spend time with the virtual media function of the DRAC card. Just picked up the 1850, and it does not have a cd-rom. "No problem, I'll just use the Virtual Media drives to install the OS...works great with ESXi, so why not the DRAC?"

I guess not.

Same symptom from both the DRAC cards. I can load and use the console just fine, but if I try and use virtual media, I get prompted to install the ActiveX plugin, and then get kicked out to the DRAC login screen. Happens on XP SP3, Vista Ult 64 bit, CentOS 5, and MS Server 03...each are different physical machines, except for the CentOS box, which is virtual. I've tried downloading the xpi for Firefox and installing it directly, but get an error "Install Script not found - 204". I've also gone into the Configuration to make sure I had permission to use the virtual media, and I do. I've tried taking down all the security from IE7 to see if that was causing it, but the symptom doesn't change.

There's a common thread here, but I'm not smart enough to see it. Anybody got any helpful suggestions? Thanks!

-T

I have had the same problem with IE7 being kicked out when trying to install the ActiveX control for virtual media. To get it to work, I had to make the site trusted and lower the security level of trusted sites to Low. This allowed me to install the plugin and select the virtual media. One note, my DRAC5 did not come with virtual media enabled. I had to enter the DRAC settings and enable it via the DRAC BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back