Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell DLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 8, 2002
ZA
Hello,

I having some trouble trying to assign a logical name to a DLT drive(Dell PowerVault 110T on PowerEdge2500 server). Is this possible on windows. I want to be able to do the equivalent of the unix
&quot;mount <DLT logical name> /dev/DLT&quot;
mount a tape device to a logical drive/folder.
How do I give a DLT tape drive a logical name on W2KServer???

Please help, very urgent.

Thanks.
Wesley.

HI.

This is not done by default in Windows.

There are 3rd party programs that can do it, but use them only if you really need this feature.

For backup/restore tasks, use your backup software (either Win2000 backup or better 3rd party package).

Win2000 has options for removabale storage but I don't think that this is what you're looking for.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks for the response,
Can you give me examples of some of this software, and where I can download them(trial version), all I need is something to give my device a logical name, so that I can mount it to a directory.

thanks
Wesley.

HI.

I'm sorry, I don't remember any specific application, but search the net and you'll probably find.

What are you trying to achieve?
If you need more disk space better buy more disk space.
If you need access to data on tape, you should use the software that wrote to it.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

I work for a logistics company that sells a product called dispatcher. This product is very diverse in the fact that it was developed partially on unix and partially on windows.
To be able to use this we use another application called MKSToolkit, which enables you to run a Korn Shell in windows. The backup script is a unix shell script which refences the device(DLT) as /dev/mnt0, which is why I need to know how to assign a logical name to the device to be able to mount it to /dev/mnt0.

Thanks for the help though.

Wesley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back