Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Dimension 4300 - Replacing Rage w/ Radeon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque2k

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
US
Hello, all.

I have a customer who had the video in their Dell Dimension 4300S go bad. This was verified by 1) checking the diagnostics lights on back of machine (nice option!), and 2) swapping the low-profile Rage 128 card for a Radeon 7000 I had lying around.

The machine now boots with the Radeon (though I've got to get a low-profile one for final repair, $20 on eBay!), gives me the option to start up in Safe Mode (XP Home Edition, OEM from Dell), but will not go to a full desktop in Normal mode (I see a black screen with a white mouse cursor which can move, but nothing else), and in Safe Mode it hangs while loading libraries on the AGP library.

I know the Radeon uses a slightly different driver set than the older Rage 128 cards, but I can't get the dang machine to recognize that it needs to load new drivers (which I have on CD to start with, until I can get to the Net to get updated ones).

Am I going to have to reinstall XP Home because of a stupid video card swap?!

Just for kicks, I stuck my Knoppix Linux CD in, booted up, and ran the machine flawlessly for about an hour. :)

TIA,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back