Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Dimension 3000 Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

saragarner

Vendor
Mar 5, 2012
IE
I have a RCA LCD TV (model # 32LA30RQ) and a Dell Dimension 3000 PC. I don’t have the model number on the PC because part of the sticker is missing. What kind of cable do I need to connect them? Will I need a separate audio cable? I was on the website and there was no mention of the cable so any help would be much appreciated.

For standard computer stuff? Just a standard VGA HD15 cable, like on a monitor. If you wanted to play bluray or any type of hdcp content you would need hdmi, and the video card of the computer would need hdmi also. In the case of the VGA, yes you would need to have seperate audio, usually headphone to RCA jacks does the trick. If you wanted to go HDMI, it has the ability to carry the audio signal to the tv, as long as you have at least an ATI/AMD 4xxx and up, or newer nvidia GT420 and newer. I use an older ATI 4670 that I bought open box from Newegg for less than $60 a few years ago. This allows me to use hdmi for both audio and video, a bluray/dvd combo drive, and a Ceton quad tuner with cable card from comcast to use a computer to watch and record tv, and not have a cable box in my living room.

Going by the computer specs given by dell here all you have is a standard 15 pin VGA out.

Which means all you need is a standard VGA cable. As Clarke suggested, you'll need a headphone to RCA audio cable as well.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Ditto what Phil said.

Your LCD TV has a VGA input and standard RCA inputs for left and right stereo.
So you should be able to use a VGA monitor cable for video and an RCA y-cable for audio (3.5mm jack connects to the audio output on your Dell).

You can see what's being referred to here:

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

My friend has the same setup, he used a standard 15 pin VGA cable, and everything is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back