Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dell d640 docking station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju1c3

MIS
Apr 3, 2007
US
ok, it all started at the beginning of this week. one of my cliets docking station wouldnt work. it would show the video however, the mouse and keyboard wouldnt work at all. he had been using this for over 3 months now without a problem. i checked the docked hardware profile and it had the normal chars that cant be displayed thing where it was squares and junk. i deleted the profile, however, it will not respawn the profile. i had never herd of a hardware profile becomming corupt, but i guess anything can happen. i also contacted dell and i have a new motherboard comming today as well just in case its that.

ok, so i thought i had it all under control untill today. i get a call saying another computer is doing the exact same thing. now i know this is getting wierd. i told them ok ill look into it.

called me back like an hour later saying yet another one is doing this. i am really confused now. all virus scans have come back negative.

someone please help me.

Hi everyone, I have a Dell Latitude 810 and a dell docking station. I am running Windows 2k Pro.

The laptop works fine by itself.
When I plug it into the docking station eveything works but the network connection.

I have a 3 pc network using a cable modem attached to a router. The printer and 3 pc's are all hooked into the router.

The network light on the back of the docking station is on but I cannot get the network to connted to the card. I bought the docking station used and this is the first time I am using it.

Any troubleshooting tips?
Thanks.

i solved my problem. it happened to be the motherboard was bad. thank god for dell gold tech support.

as for your problem man, are you using the 90watt power adapter or the 65 that came with your system? the docking station takes a 90 watt. also, make sure the computer is turned off completely before you put it on or take it off the station. it will fry the mobo if you dont. let me know if this helps. if it doesnt, then ill give you some other stuff to try.

Thanks for the reply. I checked and I have a 70W power supply. You may have hit on something here. I will see if I can find a larger power supply.
Dom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back