Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Commserv/Media Agent combo review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogeypro

MIS
Jan 4, 2008
US
We are looking for a new enterprise backup solution from TSM. Dell is trying to sell us the DL2100 with commvault installed (commserv and media agent on one server). Any draw backs to this configuration (perfance, scalability)? Any reviews on Dell Commvault support?

I abandoned Dell commvault support and went straight to Commvault themselves and couldn't be happier. At the time Dell tech support couldn't figure out if Commvault was a tape drive or a server and it was hell getting help from them on anything. I should add that this was at least 3 years ago, so things hopefully has changed.

I've been running Commvault for about 6 years now, and it works great for us. I haven't used TSM so I couldn't help you compare the two, but disk to disk and then to tape is what I've been doing for ages now and it works great.

Hi

Suppose it all depends what you are going to be backing up...the DL2100 look like a good appliance for small environments...should be able to fit quite a few backup cycles on 3TB of deduped disk

If your environment is enterprise and you need scalability then I think I'd also consider putting in a traditional CommCell instead of an appliance to see which suits your environment best

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back