Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell 1720 Prints Some Fields Too Lightly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed1

Programmer
Jan 27, 2008
US
I have a DELL 1720 laser printer (new) and have a problem printing a number of web pages under VISTA. Some fields print too lightly to be legible and I can’t find any settings either in VISTA or my printer driver which can change or resolve the problem.

For example, on one web site which I need to print frequently displays some fields in a normal font, other fields in a lighter font and yet others in a font which displays in tan. My 1720 laser printer prints the normal fonts just fine but prints the lighter fonts so lightly that they are barely legible. The fonts which display in tan also are barely legible when printed.

The printer is new so there is plenty of toner. I have the toner darkness set to full dark as well but that has no effect. I just tried an experiment and printed the same web page on my old IBM/Lexmark laser printer on my old Windows 98 system and it printed just fine, with all fields printing with the same level of darkness regardless of how they displayed on the screen.

I’ve been told that some printers have a setting available to specify “Print All Text As Black” which sounds as if it would solve my problem. As far as I can tell, my 1720 doesn't have such a setting however. Does anyone know if there is any way to get this printer to print all text fields in black, as my old printer and system do with the same web pages?

As I mentioned earlier, I have been through all of the printer properties settings I can find and nothing seems to affect this situation. It seems ridiculous to think that I may have to keep regressing back to my old WIN98/Lexmark Printer system to get these pages to print properly.

Thanks for any input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back