Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delivery Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ1982

Technical User
Jun 13, 2001
GB
Hey All,

Ive got my exchange server receiving email on my home IP address for sampledomain1.co.uk , however I would like to drop in another mail server (Different vendor) for personal learning etc.

How would I point email for thatdomain.co.uk from the exchange server to the new server.

I know this can be done using Unix & Sendmail but I am trying to avoid that way.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

AJ

Its much easer then sendmail (unless you are using the access db)! :)

Here's a basic configuration:
Start Exchange System Manager (ESM)
Right click on Connectors folder and select New SMTP Connector
Set the name
Change the delivery to smart host, and add the name or ip (use [] for IP's to skip DNS lookups) of your other machine.
Add the default VSI as the bridge head.
Select the Address space tab.
Select Add and select SMTP
Type the domain "thatdomain.co.uk" and click "ok". Beware of wildcards though, since thats the easiest way to create an open relay.
Click allow messages to be relayed (for address space you added).
Click OK.

There are other options you can add for connectors as well, so feel free to explore if you've never used connectors before.

Top Stuff,

In the interests of not wanting to be an open relay, I notice it works without turning that setting on?

If I open up the relay (which will be to AOL) then does this mean I will open relay to AOL addresses (something I definitely dont wanna do)?

Cheers

Fatz

If you authenticated, then you are allowed to relay by default. That check box allows anonymous people to relay to that address space.

If you created an address space of aol.com, then yes, 3rd parties can relay aol.com to your new server (not to AOL) as long as you specify a smarthost rather then DNS.

The typical unintentional open relay configuration with connectors is a) leave routing to DNS, b) have a * address space, and c) check allow relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back