Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delivery Notification in Outlook for Distribution Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

carex

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
Under tracking options in Outlook, a user has "request a read receipt ..." and "request a delivery receipt ..." selected. Normally, when sending e-mails to individuals, the user does receive notification of the delivery and reading. However, recently when sending and e-mail using a Distribution List, the user received no notifications at all, even though the message was delivered to and read by everybody in the list. Can Outlook generate these receipts for each person on an established Distribution List? Where and/or how is the function controlled?? Any advice will be appreciated.

With a personal distribution list or public distribution list Outlook should be able to generate a read receipt for those in the corporate workgroup.

If the addresses in the DL are internet addresses then a receipt will not be generated as these are outside of the corporate workgroup.

Although with Outlook 2002 a reader can squelch the receipt from being generated ever. In previous versions of Outlook the reader can use the preview pane to read the message without generating an immediate receipt but eventually a receipt should be generated. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Thank you for responding.

We do have Outlook 2000 and the persons on this particular distribution list are all employees, so they should all be within the "corporate workgroup". Is there an option in the DL properties that can prevent the receipts from generating? How about elsewhere? This is stomping me.

Not from the Outlook side that I am aware of. Maybe something in Exchange Administrator that can but I can't really say with any certainty on the latter.

I am curious though if you look at the TRACKING tab for the message sent does it still show that no one has read the message? You will find the tracking tab by opening the sent message from the Sent Items folder. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back