Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delivery Failure then failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesFox

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
US
Good Evening,

Few months ago we had a customer who started returning their emails first as delayed, then failure a few days later. This was only one customer and it stoped for awhile. Last week the same symptom returned yet again?

Here is the message:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

bob.smith@xxx.yyy.de on 10/4/2006 2:31 PM

Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator.

<myemail.mydomain.com #4.4.7>

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Regards,
Desmond

Morning delay then failure with a 447 often indicates no reverse DNS set up

Check it at dnsreport.com, if it shows no rDNS, have a word with your ISP and tell them to set one up

Paul

and Paulha said <snipped>

...with a 447 often indicates no reverse DNS setup...

Desmond responds...

Checked it at dnsreport and we show to be "good"...

I believe a 447 is just a timeout error. If i had to guess the other domain's server is the culprit.

can you telnet to port 25 of their server?

call them up and ask them if they have any software on their server that blocks other server's and ask them to take a look re yours. I had a client a while back that was a little over zealous in mainting his blocked ip list and I ended up blocked from his server all the time.

First,Thanks so much for the reply.

Funny you should mention that, that's exactly what I did and sure enough we are being "denied". SMTP 554 return! <sigh> So now we're waiting on our customer.... and I've learned a few things <grin>

The article seems very interesting in pointing out possible causes related to devices or applications between both ends.

Thank you.

All I did to confirm that we were being "blocked" by this customer was to telnet <theirIPaddress> smtp. It always came back 554 transaction failed.

After I emailed them about it I checked again on a Monday morning and the response was 220!

Haven't heard a thing since. <grin>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back