Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delivering solutions in .Net or Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith180

Programmer
Oct 26, 2005
GB
A consultancy firm that provides .Net or Java solutions to the clients, how does it decide whether to deliver the solution in Java or .Net?

Or is this specified by the clients?

Thanks

A lot of this will be determined by the client's infrastructure and expertise. For example, the company that I work for has a "Microsoft Only" policy for our servers. This means that I cannot install a Java application server or run a Java application or applet that won't run under IIS.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

We're a web development company and the bulk of our work has been in either ASP or ASP.Net. We are now looking at doing on Java work as some of our client have requested it - so it will be down the client in our case. (Although we do recommend)

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

I work for a public sector organisation that has both .NET and Java applications, in addition to more traditional Win32 and PHP web applications.

Being a public sector organisation we have to tender for work and the specification document won't specify the platform to be used for development, just that it has to run on a Windows 2000/2003 server (or something like that).

I agree that the client should have a say, but mixing and matching these systems quickly becomes a nightmare when it gets to getting things to work together (DTS jobs are wonderful for pushing data between systems). Tread carefully when it comes to specifying the platform, even including version numbers:

For example, we have a Java based application that requires v1.4.0 runtime. Its an externally written app that we don't have the source code for and the developers haven't upgraded to work with a newer version of the runtime.

I've recently discovered that if a client has v1.5.0 or later runtime installed then this doesn't work with the old application because of differences in the way certificates are handled.
It may just be my ignorance with regards to Java on how to get around this without uninstalling the 1.5.x runtime but this is causing my colleagues and I a large headache at present.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back