Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting Windows XP password cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

scomfort

Programmer
Dec 3, 2003
GB
Is there any way of prompting a user to enter in his/her username and password to access a network place all the time so as to allow me to change the default details? At the moment it just goes into the network location automatically as it has a stored username and password which was initially put in and 'remember username and password' was ticked. Now I wish to login as a different user to the network place which has different access but now there is no option to do so - I need to stay logged in as the same Windows user and I gather it has cached the initial user details to this Windows profile. I don't really want to delete the Windows profile though.

Even better would be a way to simply delete the windows password cache so as to start over although I'm not sure how to do this.

The client computer is running Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for any help

See what you have available in "Manage Passwords"?

There is a "Manage Passwords" section obtained via typing Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run box. In the resulting window you will get to it via the Advanced tab.

See if there is anything mentioned in "Manage Passwords"?

Another thing you can look at is this -

306992 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer in a Domain in Windows XP

306541 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP

Thanks for your help. Finally managed to change the default user :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back