Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting Win XP upgrade (from Win 98SE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataraj48

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
I have two Windows XP systems on my PC.
The first one is a Windows XP upgrade from Windows 98SE which had a lot of problems.
The second one is a full version of Windows XP which was installed from a cd sent by Microsoft Support.
The first one is on the C(?) drive and the second one is on a new partition created on D(?).
I am asked to select one of the systems everytime I turn on the PC.
Is there a way to delete the Windows XP upgrade version from my PC as it is redundant and never used?
Thank you for a quick response.

yes you can.

right click on my computer then go to advance tab then choose "startup and recovery" settings button. There you can select which one you want to display and uncheck the display options.

rmcp2k - I hope you know your solution doesn't delete the original 98 to XP installation - it just makes the other one default.

nataraj48 - you got some reasonable advice in 98 forum. Basically, if you want rid of 98/XP upgrade installation, you need to backup, and do a clean install of XP - wiping out both current partitions - then put back data, apps & settings after install.

I could suggest several alternatives if you have something like Ghost software available and if second partition is a primary one (as opposed to logical drive in secondary), but as the good XP installation will be on D:, not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back