Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting/ Transferring files from D to C drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataraj48

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
My old PC runs short of space on the Windows drive whenever I log on.
I tried transferring files from D ( Windows, Documents & Settings and Program Files) to C but it does not go through.
What is the solution?

It does not go through...

Exactly how does it not go through, do you get an error? If os copy it here if you can. Have you checked Event viewer for any relevant information?

With that said, usually Windows resides in the C drive not D drive. Why is your Windows on D? And what if anything is on C?

How large are the drives?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

C Drive : Free space = 7.26GB, Total size = 10.8GB
D Drive : " " = 177MB, " " = 3.42GB
The files on D are Documents & Settings, Program Files and Windows. I managed to copy and paste them on C drive.
I could not delete the files on D drive because I get prompts indicating that it cannot be removed or deleted (stops in the middle of copy/delete) as program won't work if deleted or that the file is in use by another person or is password protected (close the program and try again). I tried deleting the files manually. I can't delete all.

Does Windows run form D: really that is there is a Windows Folder there? Its possible it may just be informing you that that particular drive is low on space which is true.

Perhaps using the Disk Cleanup utility may yield some space.

Right Click on the Drive, and Select Properties. Then Click on the Disk Clean Up button there. It should tell you if there's anything that can be deleted.

Which files exactly are you getting the error from?

Anything inside Program Files, and Windows folders must remain where they are. You can move the contents of My Documents folder but most of the contents of the "Documents and Settings" folder cannot be moved normally.

I think you should start to consider buying a larger hard drive.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back