Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deleting specified number of rows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveniemann

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2002
US
Hi!

any idea on how i would issue a delete statement that would only delete up to 500 rows (the equivalent of rownum in oracle)

oracle equivalent-->delete from sometable where rownum < 501

thanks

The SALES table is a table in the SAMPLE database. The following sequence of sqls delete the top 9 salaried rows

HTH

sathyaram

$ db2 "create table delsales like sales"
DB20000I The SQL command completed successfully.
$ db2 "insert into delsales select * from sales"
$ db2 "select count(*) from delsales"

-----------

1 record(s) selected.

$ db2 describe table delsales

Column Type Type
name schema name Length Scale Nulls
------------------------------ --------- ------------------ -------- ----- -----
-
SALES_DATE SYSIBM DATE 4 0 Yes

SALES_PERSON SYSIBM VARCHAR 15 0 Yes

REGION SYSIBM VARCHAR 15 0 Yes

SALES SYSIBM INTEGER 4 0 Yes

4 record(s) selected.

$ db2 "create view delsales_view as select sales_date,rownumber() over (order by sales desc) as row# from delsales"
$
$ db2 "delete from delsales_view where row#< 10"
$ db2 "select count(*) from delsales"

-----------

1 record(s) selected.

For db2 resoruces visit More DB2 questions answered at

An alternative is to open a cursor on the table, and iterate fetching each row, using DELETE ... WHERE CURRENT OF cursorname on the first n rows. But it's a bit crude, especially for large values of n.

But relational tables aren't flat files, and in sathyarams' example the 'first 500' rows selected for deletion are dependent on the ORDER BY clause.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you might be better off deleting all rows that meet some other criterion, like older than CURRENT DATE - 3 MONTHS for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back