Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting SPAM before receiving it? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

snotty2000

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I'm trying to set-up a 'spam' filter in Eudora Pro that will delete the message before it attempte to download the message from the server.

Is it possible to have Eudora get the header info, and if the message is spam, have Eudora delete it from the server and not download the rest of the message?

My situation is that I am on a mailing list that sends attached files, and we have one joker who is always sending off-topic messages, so I want to delete these.

Sending the messages to the trashcan still means I have to download the attachments, and when your using a 56K modem, the less you have to download the better!

Hi snotty,
I believe this is possible although I have never done it myself. Open the filters window from the tools menu and start to create a filter specifying the mail you wish to target. When you come to the first Action drop down list open it. Towards the bottom you will see an option called Server Options. Click on this and it will bring up two check boxes marked Fetch and Delete. Check the delete box. This should leave the mail on the server without downloading it and then delete it from there the next time mail is checked. Anyway, thats my understanding, as I say I have never tried it myself.

I've tried this option. It still downloads the message.

I have a feeling this option is used to delete the message from the server instantly, rather than leaving it there if you have this configured.

Thanks for replying though.

To the best of what I know you have to download the messages first.
The filters need to read the message before it can apply the filters.

/johnny

What I have started doing is using a program like "MailWasher" before opening Eudora. You can screen/delete/bounce emails first before actually downloading them. Then, open Eudora and download the remaining mail. I'm not sure this exactly solves your problem but it works for me.

I use a product somewhat similar to MailWasher that I've come to love. PC Magazine's free MailCall utility. No need to run Eudora 24/7... a little resource-friendly systray applet checks your mail (multiple accounts if needed) at a user-specified frequency and beeps, pops up a message, or launches your email client (whatever you want... mine just beeps and changes to display new mail icon) when you have mail. No need to launch the whole Eudora prog just to check to see if there's any mail. Has filters so can delete mail right off the server. Has a 100 line preview so you can nuke spam and such before it evers hits your mailbox. (Raw text preview only)

Search for it on PC Mag's website. 100% freeware. Kills 99% of spam for me before it even touches my computer. Eudora never even knows it was there. Works with any POP3 account. LOVE IT.

Choice Mail is what you want, check it out. Bill

I'm trying to set-up a 'spam' filter in Eudora Pro that will delete the message before it attempte to download the message from the server.........

Click right on the toolbar where you see the icons at the top of Eudora and select customize.Click on file under the tab categories, and look for the mailbox icon that has an downpointing arrow and a letter. The description should be Checks for any new mail; hold down <shift> for mail transfer options. Drag this icon to your tool bar and if promoted label it Check mail. Close the customize window, then hold down the shift key and click on the icon you have just added. You will see all the options available. One is to download headers only. Those emails that you deem to be spam can be deleted from the server by rightclicking on the email in the preview paneand selecting &quot;change server status&quot;, and then selecting delete. Then you have to repeat the above to be able to download the email in full of the remaining emails.
Frankly, I prefer Mailwasher, but I haven't tried the Mailcall utility as yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back