Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting Profiles in W2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

narineh

MIS
Jun 19, 2002
US
I have deleted profiles but I just can't remember how to get around this.

My situtation:

I have a corrupted Profile and its the Administrator profile. Its the only profile on the machine, when going to Document and Settings\Profile_Name

I try to delete but it says NTUSER.dAT in use cannot delete. I tried logging off and UNC into the machien, while the account was not logged on and try to delete it however that didn't work.

Any ideas on how to clean the entire profile directory and start from scratch.

Thanks for any help

You can create a user profile on a server or network share for one user. MAke that user part of the Amdinistartor group to be able to delete the local profile from that computer. Log in as that user, and delete the remaining local profiles.
Or if this is an option, create a user account with admin rights on that computer. Log in with that account and delete the other profiles. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

I can't rename the profile as the file is in use and it will not let me.

This computer is a Domain Controller, forgot to mention that. It does not give the option to log on locally so I can't delete it.

Have you tried Directory Service Restore logon as the user you created in DCPROMO then restore the System State backup (if you backup using your administrator logon it will restore your NTUSER.DAT file)

Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back