Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting Old Backups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2000
US
Hi - I have a SQL maintenance plan on SQL 2000 that says to delete backups of more than 3 days. It is failing.

I think that since it is part of a maintenance routine job, that also contains backups as a part of the job, it is not deleting the older stuff because it is also failing on one of the databases. So, I need to confirm the order of how a maintenance job runs when I have to backup databases and then delete more than 3 days worths of bak files.

I am backing up 4 databases and want to auto delete when there are more than 3 days of backups in each folder. The first 3 are successfully backed up. Then the 4th fails due to server space. When I look, none of the old databases were deleted. Can someone give me a link or information as to how the chain of events are done for backups and removals? I think that since it is failing on the final backup, the job stops and then nothing else is run - but not certain.

Thanks!

Backups are done first. If any backups fail, then the deletion of the old backups is not done. You have to have enough room for n+1 backups on disk for the maintenance plan to delete the old files.

It is done in this way to ensure that your good backups are not deleted until the next good backup is done.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thank you - that is what I thought but wanted to confirm!!! Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back