Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting items in outlook XP powers off computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yargkcin

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2005
US
I am having a problem with Microsoft Outlook XP version. When the user deletes anything out of her inbox it shuts her computer off. To test it I had her leave outlook up for a week with out deleting any email and the computer was fine, but after a week I went in and deleted an email and it shutdown.

There are no event logs and it does not give any errors. I have uninstalled office and ran updates from the Microsoft site and it continues to do the same thing. I have ran virus scan and scanned for spy ware. I have also ran a hardware diagnostic test on the PC and all components passed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is she using a .PST file to store emails in locally? If so try creating a new main .PST file and copy all the old emails from her old one. OR use the PST Scan and repair utility that comes with Outlook. (This is located here C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\SCANPST.EXE on my computer)

I've had Outlook do some very funny things when the users PST file is corrupt, and following these steps solved them.

Hope this helps you.

A.

i tried the pst scan and it scanned with out any errors

Then I beleive it's most likely something more serious, like a corrupted Office file (DLL). You may want to try reinstalling Office and unfortunately reinstalling the OS for this user if all else fails. Remembering of course to back up all locally stored files first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back