Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deleting folder on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dineshparikh

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
GB
I am facing problem while deleting folder on common drive(Shared folder on server) from workstations.

It allows me delete all content of the folder in common drive but it donot allow me to delete folder, it say check specified path or folder do not exists.

All users have "change" permission on folder.
And I am able to delete folder from server but not workstation.

I have tried with Admin id on workstation but not succeded.

can any body help me with this

You might want to try taking ownership of it from a workstation using the Admin account, and if that is successful try deleting it then...let me know..

KevieB (I'm new, from Ireland)

Are these "Share Permissions" or "Directory Permissions"?

If you tried to dleete as admin, and it didn't work. Either take ownership as Kev from Ireland says, or a simple reboot may have an impact as well. ________________________________________
Check out

If he can delete the folder locally from the server but not when connected to the share remotely, more than likely his share permissions are set to low... Just because you are an admin doesnt mean you can delete a share when connected remotely, a share can be locked down so even an admin cant delete remotely. You need to make sure that your Directory and Share permissions are set properly.

If you can delete the folder from the server but not a workstation, are the workstations NT using NTFS??
If they are then as SgtB / Killman says check all user permissions and directory (folder) permissions (go into advanced permissions), but if the workstations are not NT workstations, i.e. Win95/98 then you will not be able to take ownership from the non-NTFS workstations.
Or delete from these non-NTFS workstations depending again on the permissions granted....I'd recheck the advanced permissions for the folder.

Could you let us know please how you got on, ta.

KevieB...(lovely Saturday morning, and now I have to go and help my friend move some darn furniture!). This websites great, it's like a wee community!!

You can't delete a shared folder remotely. So if the directory you're trying to remove is shared out, you will only be able to do it at the console (as you have to remove the share then delete the directory.) [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

dhawthorn is right, (well you are MCSE NT4/W2K!!!), yes I tried it and it's all true.

KevieB, (I've too much time on me hands!)

dineshparikh,

You said the following:

I am facing problem while deleting folder on common drive(Shared folder on server) from workstations.

Does this mean that you are trying to delete a folder within a share as I assumed (I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back