Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting files doesn't release hard disk space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axalex

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2004
HK
I have a 120G HD with one partition and the usuage is around 110G. I've started removing some of the files but the free space doesn't get updated. I've tried scandisk, defragment, and doesn't seem to solve the problem. My only guess is there could be a corruption in the partition table. Is there any tools on earth that I could recover this. Thanks in advance for any help. (I am using Win XP Pro by the way). Thanks.

Are you using Norton Systemworks? If so, RIGHT click on the Recycle Bin icon and "Delete Protected files".

It can take up to 3 separate actions to remove a file from your hard drive (depending on the type of file).

Delete.
Delete from Recycle Bin.
Remove from System Restore.

This program might be useful for any diagnosing of Disk Space usage.

something is consuming the hard drive freespace
Thread779-810374

Where is my disk space?
Thread779-719423

Delete Offline Flies
Thread779-816712

316505 - Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space

How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP(Q315668)

The Default Cluster Size for the NTFS and FAT File Systems(Q314878)

Run the Disk Cleanup tool and use the "More Options" tab to remove all but the most recent restore point.

You don't really want Restore Points going back too far as they will more than likely uninstall all programs or settings you have changed since your "go back point" causing you more problems than it may fix.

The average restore point is 25mb+ with a "first in, first out" policy on restore points. They contain mainly deleted or altered exe, dlls, shortcuts and a registry backup and user profile details. They do not contain users data.

Keeping restore points for a week seems adequate. Amount of disk space used depends on the size of your restore points. Some restore points can be as large as 500mb after major alterations to a system (ie a new service pack or several hefty program installs, or running SFC /Scannow).

310312 - Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP

2) More On Cleaning Out Old "Service Pack" Folders

308008 - How to Remove the Windows XP Uninstallation Files

Do you use Hibernation? If not turn it off to save 500+MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back