Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting eMail attached files after sending eMail

Status
Not open for further replies.

JScannell

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
This may seem like a simple question, but I need to know when it is safe to delete files from my local folder that were attached to an eMail. I am using Classic ASP's cdo.Message object. This method works great for sending the eMails, but since I upload all attachment files to a particular folder on my web server's file system, I have run into a problem where there many files out there from all the eMails I've sent over the years and I realized I need to be able to delete them once the eMails have been successfully sent.

That's where the problem is. How do I know that the 'smtpserver' has finished? The call to send the eMail will take a very short time, but the actual process will take much longer (the files have to be fetched for each recipient in the eMail addresses, system time needed to actually do it, etc.).

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Jerry Scannell

How do I know that the 'smtpserver' has finished?

You don't, the SMTP server, which may of course not necessarily even be on the same machine, and ASP scripts simply do not 'talk' to each other. All you 'know' is that the server (or rather the CDO component) acknowledged the instruction to send a message.

One way would be to set up a FILO queue system with the file names and a delete after time, then process that when a request is made to the website.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back