Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting Cyan channel & distributing through the others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale2

Technical User
Aug 24, 2005
GB
When a client wants no all Cyan to be removed from an image.

Once removed there is a difference in appearance which needs to be fixed, what's the proper way to re-distribute the cyan channel through to M Y and K.

I tried copying Cyan and pasting into firstly Magenta and then ajusting the levels of magenta. Is this the best way?

You want to reproduce full-colour images with no Cyan!? ... I think you've got your work cut out for you

Why are you being asked to do such a thing?

Kind Regards
Duncan

This isn't an unusual request in high-end retouching.
And you do need to make up for the loss of a channel.
I think pasting cyan into other the channels then reducing it intensity with level adjustments is best bet.

... not an unusual request" - i'll just have to take your word for that. I have been retouching images for many, many years and i've never been asked to do that. I might not be involved in 'high-end' stuff i guess. It might be possible (of course you would need to compensate for the loss of the channel) - but to compensate for that massive loss, which is really 1/3 rd of the colour space as black is really a key to assist the CMY), i think will be close to impossible. This really means you are trying to re-create all the colours in the real world with Magenta and Yellow. Painful. Also, you are going to add detail to the M & Y channels... which will introduce more problems.

I am actually sorry i can't really offer any positive assistance - but your method of adjusting the levels is probably the way to go. I would, however, use Adjustment Layers whenever possible - so as not to do anything destructive to the image.

Despite what i have said above, i may well be wrong. I have had about 15 years experience - but not much at the top end of the market. So please don't listen to everything i say (i'm sure you won't anyway)

Good luck!

Kind Regards
Duncan

Hale2,

Sorry to jump in...but...can you please explain why they would want no Cyan in an image? What do they want the final result to look like?

I have never heard of anyone doing this?

Unless they are after a certain affect??

You have really got my interest...

Marcus

Yeah, I'm baffled as to why you would need to do this, too.

Please elaborate!

Once removed there is a difference in appearance which needs to be fixed

There is a reason why something looks different when there is no cyan ...and if you try to adjust it at this point, you are doing more than just removing cyan.

Perhaps the client simply wanted less of a cyan cast to the photo. You can tweak this by isolating the cyan channel and tweaking curves and levels.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back