Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting Charts in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMillar

Programmer
Oct 16, 2001
AU
Hope someone can help with what should be a simple one.
I'm trying to delete a variable number of charts from a sheet.

I create them through a macro that retrieves data and builds the charts. I then need to delete and re-create them when the user wants to re-run the query with different parameters. There could be none or there could be any number of charts. Just depends on what's been requested.

I've tried SkipVought's tip (09/01/2002):
For Each Chart In ActiveWorkbook.Charts
Charts.Delete
Next
but I need to declare the chart object I think. I've tried a number of other ways, but being fairly new to VBA, I think I'm missing some simple step.

Thanks.

Millar I use the following method to delete my charts

Dim ch as chart

For each ch in activeworkbook.charts
ch.delete
Next ch

Hope this helps.

Ram P

Thanks for the reply Ram.

I tried your suggestion, but no luck. It doesn't enter the For loop - it's like it doesn't recognise that there's charts on one of the sheets. There's 5 sheets in the workbook and there's currently 3 charts on the one I'm testing.

I found this command and tried it but it deleted the whole worksheet: ActiveWorkbook.Charts.Delete

Any other ideas?

Maybe try building on Ram's idea but use Shape ?

Sub Sample()
For Each Sht In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
For Each cht In Worksheets(Sht.Name).Shapes
If cht.Type = msoChart Then
'MsgBox cht.Name
cht.delete
End If
Next cht
Next Sht
End Sub

KMillar ... This simple code has always worked for me ....

Worksheets("YourWorksheetName").ChartObjects.Delete

I embed this line in a typical user-prompt MsgBox structure if the user responds with "YES, I do wish to delete all charts."

To assure that the resultant worksheet is not totally bank I also programmatically put in a heading ....

Sheets("YourWorksheet Name").Cells(1,2)= "This is a title"

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much guys. Mission accomplished. Hopefully I can return the favour some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back